Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gluten Free Almond Sandwich Bread

When I first found out that I had an intolerance to gluten, bread is what I missed the most. I tried many store bought breads and was never satisfied.  and it was outragously expensive!

I started baking  bread when I was a kid at home. When I moved to Montana, and lived in Bozeman, in the middle of wheat country, surrounded by mountains, I started baking my own bread. I would shop at the local 7th Day-Adventist store for my wheat and other grains, dry peas and beans to cook at home. I had friends that would let me come grind my wheat in their grinders. Nothing is more satisfying than a fresh loaf of bread. I invested (I was poor at the time-but happy)in the best bread book around at the time and maybe still “The Complete Book of Breads, by Bernard Clayton, Jr.”

This is a satisfying,  high protein loaf of bread-up to 6-7g of protein per slice depending on how thick you slice your bread. The inspiration comes from Elanaspantry. My changes are to help with the texture and the crumb of the bread. It is great for sandwiches and toast and holds together well for the 1st couple of days. Gluten free bread is always best fresh.

TIP- when the bread becomes a little stale after day 3, make it into crumbs and store and label in the freezer, so that you will always have some crumbs handy.


1 ¼ cup honeyville blanched almond flour

1 cup lynn’s gf flour mix, available soon!**

¼ cup flax meal

1 tea. Sea salt

1 tea. Baking soda

1Tbl. Volcanic nectar blue agave or honey

1 tea. Apple cider vinegar

1 tbl. Oil (canola or oil of choice)

4 eggs, organic if possible

1-2 Tbl. Almond milk or milk of choice.

In mixer bowl add 1st 3 ingredients. Give a quick mix to blend flours. Add  baking soda and salt. Give another quick mix. Add the agave, vinegar and oil and give another quick mix.

 While the mixer is slowly going, add 1 egg at a time.

 Beat till well mixed. I find that it needs to be thinned abit  then add the almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Pour into a well greased medium loaf pan. (not a large one or you will end up with a flat loaf of bread.) I like spectum's canola oil spray.

Bake-350 degrees for 35 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure it is done in the center.The toothpick should come out clean or with crumbs on it, NOT doughy.

IS THAT BEAUTIFUL OR WHAT!!?
GLUTEN FREE NEVER TASTED SOOO GOOOOD!!
YUMM!!

Cool completely before putting in a bag so bread does not  sweat. The bag also prevents it from drying out to quickly.  But if you are like me, I can't wait for my 1st slice of bread out of the oven, with butter or cheese on it.
 
**when using GF baking mix of choice and not lynn's flour mix-add 1 t. of xanthan gum if not in the ingredients list.

No comments:

Post a Comment